What to do if you can’t afford a makeup artist.
At the end of a very long and very fun session a few weeks ago, my assistant was talking to the senior and I was standing by the senior’s mom. The mom breathed a big sigh and said, “This is exactly what she needed.”
She didn’t need to explain anything, I knew what she was talking about and it is THE reason that I love senior photography so much. As a photographer, I get to help these girls see themselves as beautiful as I see them. It is the reason I started the photography movement Beauty Revived.
Many people ask me why I, someone who believes in inner beauty so much, also believes in makeup and makeup artists so much. It comes down to one thing: confidence. When my clients feel like they look their best, they act differently. I, as the photographer, gain confidence that they are going to feel better about themselves when they see their pictures. So, I love offering professional makeup as part of my services. I also know that not every photographer can offer makeup to their clients whether that is because of location or cost.
What to do if you can’t afford a makeup artist?
I found the answer. For years, I have been following Maskcara, a makeup business started by Cara. She created this makeup line that makes it easy to contour and highlight like the pros. She also thought of us moms when she designed it. One compact can carry all the makeup you need so there is no time wasted digging through a huge makeup bag. Plus the product is awesome. In January, she opened up the option to be a distributor. So, you, yes you, can be a makeup artist for your clients.
Yes, it is an MLM, but I joined committing to never have a party to sell to my friends or start a Facebook group where I will lose all my friends. It just isn’t me. But, I do think that as a photographer, this could be a game changer and here’s why:
- Cost Effective: To become a distributor is either $199 or $399 depending on the kit you start with and you get everything that you need to start doing makeup today. Considering how much makeup artists cost per face, this is a steal.
- Improve Your Pictures and Client Experience: You want to make your client’s feel beautiful. You want to add value to your sessions. This is just one more way to give your clients more and you get better pictures in return.
- Easy to learn: Cara started this makeup line as a way for makeup to be accessible to everyone. She gives distributors special training to make sure you are ready to use the makeup on you and on others.
- All inclusive: All the brushes, makeup and tutorials come with it.
- Make a little extra money: I don’t believe in being pushy, but I do believe in helping people. You can use this makeup at the session, then give them a card with the names of all the makeup you used and a link to your own personal Maskcara website where they can purchase the products that made them feel beautiful
I don’t think this replaces makeup artists because they are more trained and have more experience, but if you do find yourself wishing for the option to add makeup to your client experience, this is it.
And, if you want to join my team, I promise to never make you do a party or create a Facebook group, but you will get mentoring with me, which is pretty awesome and fun. To sign up, click on the button below and search for me: Artist ID Number 1935
This is what comes in the Pro Kit:
If you have any questions or want to be color matched, please email me iammichellegifford(at)gmail.com.
Here’s my 5 minute face: