How to do Stories and Lives on Instagram
How to do Stories and Lives on Instagram
Instagram is fun but when you start using it for business, it can get confusing. In this post, I’m going to be breaking down how to use Insta stories and Insta lives. This step-by-step guide will help you get up and shining on Instagram.
How to do an Insta story
To share a photo or video to your story using the Instagram app:
- Tap in the top left of your screen or swipe right from anywhere in feed.
- Tap at the bottom of the screen to take a photo, or tap and hold to record a video. To choose a photo from your phone’s library or gallery, swipe up anywhere on the screen.
- Tap , or to draw, add text or a sticker to your photo or video. To remove text or a sticker, drag and drop it on at the bottom of the screen.
- When you’re ready to share, tap Your Story in the bottom left.
Note: Stories disappear from profile and feed after 24 hours, unless you add them to your profile as highlights.
Helpful Insta Story Tips:
You can see who watches your stories:
To look at who’s seen your story, open your story and swipe up on the screen. You’ll see the number as well as the usernames of the people who have seen each photo or video in your story.
Only you are able to look at who’s seen your story.
You can tag people in your stories
- Tap in the top left of your screen or swipe right from anywhere in Feed
- Take a photo or video, then tap
- Type @ followed immediately by their username, then select the person you’d like to mention
When you mention someone in your story, their username will appear in your story with an underline. Anyone who can see your story can tap it to go to their profile.
People you mention will get a push notification telling them that you’ve mentioned them in your story. They’ll also get a direct message from you that includes a preview of your story. This preview disappears from the message thread after 24 hours.
You can mention up to 10 people in each photo or video you share to your story. If you mention multiple people, they’ll each get a message from you individually.
You can make your stories more fun
To take a photo or video with a face filter, tap then select a filter at the bottom of the screen. When using the front or back-facing camera, the filter you choose will automatically appear on the closest person’s face. Keep in mind that face filters aren’t supported on some older devices.
To zoom while recording a video, tap and hold with one finger to start recording, then slide up or down using that same finger.
On iPhone, tap Music at the bottom of the screen, then search for a song. You can edit which part of the song you want to play in your story. This feature is only available on iOS devices in some countries right now.
Tap Focus at the bottom of the screen to take a photo or video of a person in focus mode. When you take a focus photo or video of someone, the person stays in focus and the background blurs. Focus mode only works if there’s a person in your photo or video.
Tap Boomerang at the bottom of the screen, then tap the circle at the bottom to take a burst of photos that loops forward and backward.
To take a video without having to tap and hold, swipe left at the bottom of the screen and tap Hands-Free. Tap once to start recording a video, or tap and hold to see a timer that counts down before recording.
To take a video that plays in reverse, tap Rewind at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold to record a video, or tap once to record hands-free.
Tap Superzoom to take a video that automatically zooms in on an object and plays a dramatic sound. Tap anywhere on the screen to select an area or object to zoom in on, then tap the circle at the bottom to start recording.
On iPhone, tap Stop-Motion to make a video using a series of individual photos. Tap the circle to take your first photo, then keep tapping to take additional photos. When you’re finished, tap Done to see your stop-motion video.
On iPhone, you can switch between front and rear-facing cameras while recording a video. Tap and hold to start recording, then tap .
How to do an Insta Live:
You can share a live video to connect with your followers in real time. Once a live video has ended, it’s no longer visible in the app, unless you share a replay of it to your story.
To start a live video:
- Tap in the top left of the screen or swipe right from anywhere in Feed.
- Tap Live at the bottom of the screen, then tap Start Live Video.
- The number of viewers appears at the top of the screen and comments appear at the bottom. Tap Comment to add a comment, and tap and hold a comment to pin it to the top so that viewers can see it more easily.
- To turn comments off, tap then select Turn Off Commenting. Keep in mind that any keyword filters you’ve turned on will also apply to comments on your live video.
- When you’re done, tap End in the top right then tap to confirm. From there, you can tap Save in the top right to save it to your camera roll, or share it to your story.
Helpful Insta Live Tips:
How to save your Lives:
Once your live video ends, you can share a replay of it. Like other photos and videos you share to stories, live video replays disappear from Feed and your profile after 24 hours, unless you add those stories as highlights.
To share a replay of your live video, tap Share at the bottom of the screen after you’ve ended your live video. To discard your live video, tap then select Discard. You can also tap Save in the top right to save it to your camera roll.
Live video replays include all the likes and comments from your original live video. The number of viewers for your live video includes everyone who watched the live video and the replay.