How to Get Started with Text Marketing
Would you text me? Texting is one of the favorite forms of communication because it is easy and fast. But should you use it for your business? More businesses than ever use text marketing to grow and nurture their audience. If you’re ready to give it a try, keep reading to find out all about how to get started with text marketing for your business.
One of the reasons why I love text marketing is because it’s so personal. I’ve been using it for my business for about 6 months now and it has been an amazing experience so far. Another reason why I love text marketing is that it is another way for you to be in control of when and how often your content is seen by your audience.
Some businesses have been using text marketing for a while, but now it’s becoming a lot more mainstream. It has gotten more popular because of the stats associated with it. I’m going to share several of those text marketing statistics with you and I bet by the time you’re done reading them you’ll be ready to jump on board with the whole text marketing idea.
Text Marketing Statistics
I know what you’re thinking. You don’t want to do text marketing because you don’t want to bug people. Don’t worry, these stats will give you an immediate mindset shift. Ready?
- 75 percent of consumers are comfortable receiving text messages from brands, as long as they opt in for them.
- 64 percent of consumers think businesses should contact them via text message more often.
- 75 percent of consumers want to receive texts with special offers.
These percentages are insanely high! People actually want to receive your text messages. Can you believe there are some even more compelling statistics? Here they come.
- 83 percent of millennials open text messages within 90 seconds of receiving them.
- 75 percent of millennials prefer text communication for deliveries, promotions, and surveys.
- 98 percent of sent text messages are read.
That is crazy! 98 percent. That is a 209 percent higher response rate than phone, email, or Facebook.
- On average, it takes a person 90 seconds to respond to a text message and the messages are read within 3 minutes of being received.
- 95 percent of texts that are read and responded to have happened within 3 minutes of delivery.
So, not only are people getting text messages and opening them, they are responding within 90 seconds. That is a big deal!
Like I said earlier, text marketing is just now becoming mainstream, so you should take advantage of this practice for your business marketing while you can before there’s a lot more competition. If you can jump in now and learn the ropes before everyone else, that’s always better.
How Text Marketing Works
There are two main options you can do when setting up text marketing for your business. The first one is to go through the same system you use for your email marketing. The second option is to do text marketing through an app where that is its main function. Let’s dive into each of these options.
Text Marketing Option #1: Set it up through your email marketing system.
Take a look at your email marketing system and see if they offer text marketing. If it does, start using it. Just be aware that there may be an extra cost to your subscription if you start using text marketing.
Text marketing works fairly similarly to how email marketing works. It has tags that help organize your groups and send text messages to different groups at a time. So, if you’re familiar with email marketing the learning curve for text marketing is pretty small. However, your main focus will be on discovering ways to get people to sign up for your text list and what types of texts to send out–but we will get into that later.
If you’re unfamiliar with how tags work for text marketing, here’s an example. Right now, if you text “money maker” to 951-309-7885 (which you should totally do, by the way) you will get some free goal planning sheets from me. Once you send the text, you will be added to my “money maker” text list. Because you texted, you will then get a series of texts coordinating with my tag “money maker.”
I have other tags (e.g. “blogging”) where people join my text list through those as well. You can create several different tags and opt-ins for people to join your text list. This makes it really easy for you with growing your audience and keeping it organized.
Text Marketing Option #2: Set it up on an app.
Option 2 is to set up text marketing through an app. I recommend Community. This is the one I use and I love it. I can create a text message, add a link, and then choose who to send it to. It’s pretty straightforward and simple. This app costs $99/month, so it’s an investment, but definitely worth it. (Remember the stats?)
I’ve also heard of EZ Texting which is a little bit cheaper than Community. I have not used that one personally, but you can definitely check it out and see if it’s a good fit for you.
How to Get People on Your Text List
Here’s a quick list to help you get started. I’ve seen all of these (and have personally used several of them) with getting people to join text lists. People like getting opportunities like this, so know that you’re giving your person something they want when they join your text list. While it does benefit you, it very much benefits your audience as well.
- Provide a valuable opt-in
- Run a competition or giveaway. Give something for them signing up.
- Run a challenge (e.g. a getting ready for bed at a normal time challenge and you want to send a reminder text to them every night)
- Create a VIP club
- Talk about your text list as an exclusive offer. Make it so you only share certain special information with those on your text list. Then talk about it that way on social media, on your posts, your stories, etc.
- Put it on your website
- Send it to your email list
- Share it with potential customers or people who need your products
- Share it with people at a networking event
You probably are already doing several of these ideas, but just not with text marketing. These same ideas can be used with promoting your email list and social media, so just throw text marketing in there too and you’ll be set.
Ideas on What to Text to Your Audience
When deciding what type of text to send out, it’s important to think about what type of brand you are. Are you a bigger brand that sells physical products? Are you a personal brand where forming a relationship with each of your audience members would be most beneficial?
Think about what type of brand you are and then go from there. Here is a running list to help you get started.
- Put on some type of challenge. (e.g. going to bed at a normal time) This is a good option to start with because it initiates the texting relationship with your audience knowing when to expect a text from you for a certain period of time.
- Send words of encouragement. Think about what your audience is needing right now.
- Ask them questions.
- Content releases. Tease your new podcast, blog, video, etc., and include a link to open it.
- Create a VIP group. One example of what could be included in your VIP group is them getting access to your products before they are launched. Or, maybe they help you with product development.
There are tons of different texts you could send. You could have a lot of fun with this and really get to know your audience on a personal level. One of my favorite things is when my audience members text back. I can then go into the app and send them a personal, direct message. It’s so great!
If you’re going to create your text marketing list for the first time, maybe you could share the list with just a few of your closest followers and help them get on board with this new form of communication. Have them give you feedback and then build your text list from there.
How to Get Started with Text Marketing
Text marketing should not be scary. You send and receive text messages every single day and now you can do it for your business too. There’s something so valuable about sharing your personal touch and creating that connection with your audience through text marketing.
Remember to join my text list by texting “money maker” to 951-309-7885 and you’ll be able to see what kinds of texts I send out. Hopefully, my messages can give you some ideas on what to send to your audience and get you more comfortable with the whole concept!
Did you know this post on how to get started with text marketing is part of my Money Maker Method series? This post is part of the “Nurture and Notify” level of the method. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, read the first post listed below. If you want to know more of my secrets on how to make money for your business, keep following along on my podcast and/or blog! You can also follow me on Instagram @iammichellegifford for updates there as well.
- Introduction to the Money Maker Method: 5 Steps to Making More Money for your Business
- Level 1 | Make Your Mark: How to Find Your Why and How it Will Change Your Business
- Level 1 | Make Your Mark: The Top 4 Secrets to a Solid Brand Message
- Level 1 | Make Your Mark: 5 Steps to Creating a Killer Visual Brand
- Level 2 | Optimize Your Opportunity: How to Lead Your Customers to Buy Your Products
- Level 3 | Nurture and Notify: Why You Need an Email List + Email Marketing 101